What can an immigration lawyer do for you?
Explore all options:
There are many ways that an individual can obtain legal permanent residence or authorization to temporarily work in the United States. An immigration attorney can analyze the specific facts of your case and determine ALL possible options. Those options can then be discussed and evaluated in order to determine the best possible path to pursue.
Prepare and file papers:
An immigration attorney, once hired, can prepare and file applications/petitions for you. Having someone knowledgeable and experienced prepare your papers can help to avoid potential problems and delays. An experienced immigration attorney should be fully familiar with government procedures and can help you to avoid common pitfalls.
Represent you with the INS or in court:
Once you have hired an immigration attorney, you will not have to communicate directly with the government. All communication should be directed to your attorney, who can then advise you of the appropriate course of action. You need not decipher government instructions and regulations on your own.
How to select an immigration lawyer:
- Be sure the attorney is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).
- Find out how many years the attorney has been practicing immigration law. You should select an attorney with considerable experience!
- Ask the lawyer how often he/she handles immigration cases. Is it a primary focus, or a small part of the practice?
Beware of the following:
- Non-attorney consultants. Only attorneys or accredited representatives of non-profit groups can represent and assist you.
- Anyone who promises success. A good attorney will increase your chances for success and may advise you that it is highly likely that your case will be approved; however, beware of anyone who guarantees success.
- Anyone who claims to have special influence. The INS evaluates each case on its own merits. No special consideration will be given to any individual. Beware of anyone who promises special treatment from a government employee.
CAPRIOTTI & Associates International Law
Immigration · Nationality · Consular Process
North America & Europe
P.O. Box 2792 · Portland, OR 97208-2792
Fax: 1-503-223-3886 · Voice: 1-503-221-1600
We have a North America TOLL-FREE number available for our clients. Please ask Mr. Capriotti.
Information on how to write Mr. Capriotti
Home Page · Schedule a Private Consultation
The information given in this Web site is intended as general information only.
It does not substitute for the services of an immigration attorney in a specific case.
© 1995-2003 F.J. Capriotti III. All rights reserved.